Kiener Plaza’s lush new gardens, splash pad and colorful playground are ready for business.
The plaza is named for Harry J. Kiener, a steel executive and lifelong amateur sportsman who was a member of the U.S. track team that competed in the 1904 Olympics held in St. Louis during the World’s Fair. The bronze statue of The Runner is in front of a new fountain with LED lighting that can change colors to mark holidays and special events.
The 1.9-acre park was originally dedicated in 1962, part of the massive urban redevelopment of the city’s downtown area that accompanied the construction of the Gateway Arch and Busch Stadium II. The plaza was erected on the former site of the Old Laclede Hotel and Senate Theater.
Kiener Plaza now features garden spaces planted with native Missouri plants, including 140 trees, a new playground and a large interactive water feature called a splash pad. There is plentiful seating, and the lawn space across from the Old Courthouse can accommodate approximately 2,000 people for events.
The renovations were funded by tax dollars raised by Proposition P, which was approved by city and county voters in 2013, and private funding from the CityArchRiver Foundation. It is part of the $380 million CityArchRiver project that is connecting the Gateway Arch to Downtown.